8/22/14

My latest projects.. and a FREEBIE!

The last few days I have been working on a few crafty classroom projects.  I have enjoyed getting my hands "gluey" again.  Ever since I gave up scrapbooking I have been looking for reasons to use my ink pads, stickers, corner rounders, paper stash....my toys!

First project was inspired by this:
I found it on Pinterest.  I had a lot of problems last year keeping track of no name assignments.  They often sat on the "hand back" table for days.  It was not the greatest organizational method of handing back nameless work.  the table was always messy, you couldn't see them clearly - and lets be honest, out of sigh, out of mind. So I bought two magnetic display boards and put on some letters from my bulletin board.  I took some dollar store magnets and decorated the tops with mosaic tiles. 

I looked at it and frankly the crafter in me cringed.  So  quick trip to Michaels and into my old scrap supplies..
And the boring blue magnetic boards were covered in scrapbooking paper which was inked and filed to add character, some black ribbon and then the letters were reapplied..



Now I can display my no name assignments in style :o).  Honestly I felt so good to be creative again.
 
The second project I worked on started with this Pinspiration
 
I needed to have t match my room so I went back to the paper I had chosen for my no name magnetic boards.  I had some old file folders on hand and some left over ribbon. 
I ran to the store and grabbed a few washers, gathered some scissors, glue, a tack and a wooden dowel and started:


 
I covered each of the folders in a different paper.  I alternated the directions of the tabs so they would look more interesting to the eye.  Adhered the letters.  I then inked around the outside of the front of the folders.   I then stapled each folder inside of the other starting with Tuesday into Monday with only one staple to hold it together.  Once they were all loosely held together I hole punched holes to affix the ribbon through by measuring evenly from the top of the folder. I used a tack to punch a hole and a pokey wooden dowel to make the hold bigger.  My hole punch didn't work on the thick folders.  I then glued a washer around each hold before putting the ribbon through the holes so the holes would hold up to some wear.
 
It is not as fancy as the original but I held off on all of the adornments I wanted to add - flowers, glitter gems etc. since this is meant to be functional. This will hold a weeks work of early finisher/bell ringer work and extra practice sheets. 
 
I am now working on a bin to organize my weekly handouts for ease of use.  I made these chevron and quatrefoil "labels" for the front of the folders. They are FREE in my TPT store - check them out here - http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Chevron-and-Quatrefoil-Frame-and-Labels-FREEBIE-1407733 .

If you use the frames let me know - send me a picture!  I love to see my resources in use! I have chicken fajitahs calling out to me to flip them - so until later!