11/14/12

Brrr....

Who is loving the cold weather?  Me, not so much.   But, it does give me a good reason to wear warm and fuzzy sweaters -  so we all win J.

Today we started with calendar, and followed with prayer and praise and worship.  We are listening to all kinds of Christian music in 1A, today was Blesses Be by Matt Redman, and Avalanche by Manafest.  My class LOVES Christian rappers!

We did some funny poem word work where the kids have to listen (and read along) to a funny poem, find the spelling words (and word families) and then draw a picture to show their understanding.  They did great at it!  We also completed a following instructions worksheet where they had to roll a dice to create a gingerbread man.  They were right into it.  They had to name their gingerbread man and there was some super creative names; Fred, Princess Cookiella, and Zombincookie.

We also did the first spelling test -  I had 9 kids get 10 out of 10.  They are getting so much stronger at spelling, and the kids who did not get them all right were putting sounds down and that is a big accomplishment!  Way to go grade 1!

We all had a bit of mid-morning excitement – a real fire drill!  Lucky for my class that I had duty and was late getting back so they were one of the only classes dressed still when we had to line up outside!Yay warm jackets!  It all turned out okay though and after about 10 minuteswe all went back inside and all was good.

I just got home not long ago from volunteering at church and picking my kids up from their volunteer meetings – but I am looking forward to reading some verses the class and I are going to be learning about.  You should check it out:

Israel’s Only Savior (Isaiah 43)

43 But now, this is what the Lord says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
Cush[a] and Seba in your stead.
4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
nations in exchange for your life.
5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
I will bring your children from the east
and gather you from the west.
6 I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’
Bring my sons from afar
and my daughters from the ends of the earth—
7 everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.”

I love that portion of scripture – it reminds me just how much God loves us all and how although there are things that we go through, they will never overtake us if we allow him to carry us and we remain in Christ!

Reminders: Spelling test tomorrow.  No school Friday.  Please make sure your child has indoor and outdoor shoes to wear!

Blessings

Erica Hildebrand